Decatur Youth Services – Mentors Needed
Every 3rd Thursday of each month Decatur Youth Services will be holding a Mentoring Training Session for Volunteers who want to become involved in the community by mentoring the youths in Decatur City Schools.
Mentors must :
- Be willing to mentoring a child for an hour each week. You can read to them, play games, have lunch, help with homework etc. (we will confirm with the school the best time to meet)
- Commit to 6 months to a year
- Stick to the schedule
- Set high expectations
- Be understanding.
- Background check will be done ( few exceptions police officers, social workers etc.)
Benefits for youth:
- Increased high school graduation rates
- Lower high school dropout rates
- Healthier relationships and lifestyle choices
- Better attitude about school
- Higher college enrollment rates and higher educational aspirations
- Enhanced self-esteem and self-confidence
- Improved behavior, both at home and at school
- Stronger relationships with parents, teachers, and peers
- Improved interpersonal skills
If you know of anyone who would like to be involved please refer them to the contact information below.